Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Monday Goals

My goals for last week were very small, but I achieved them and that is what counts in my book. The little Yin Yang throw is a completed top ready for quilting.

I pieced 10" of the lovely Timeless Treasures Maple colored Confetti Flower fabric to both sides of the French Roosters from Island Batiks, making a 63" wide back. Then I added 3" finished borders in the Confetti Flower to the quilt front and made my bias binding (cut 2-1/2" wide) in the same fabric.

I like this top a lot and can't wait to get it completely finished. Probably we will quilt it with Hermione Agee's Fire Flower which can be seen here.

Next!

I am still messing with the setting for my son's quilt.

I have a project that is not a UFO, more of a WIP (work in progress) From the Spring 2002 issue of Vintage Quilts published by McCalls Quilting, it is called Double X Effect, and will be 74-1/2" x 78-1/2". The original had a sawtooth border on three sides.

The half square triangles are 3" finishing at 2-1/2". While the set on point blocks themselves are simple there is plenty of room for error, it is really easy to stitch them facing the wrong way. No, please don't ask me how I know, I am taking the 5th on that question.

There are four different variations of setting triangles, not shown very clearly in this illustration from the magazine. The edge ones which you can see clearly are easy but the corner ones are complex and fiddly.

My quilt will be scrappier than the original. The fabrics are a discontinued line from Wilmington, I believe called Falling Leaves. It came in a lot of colors. It is a nice heavy Kona Cotton type weave which was not popular. I got mine on sale very inexpensively. I think I also have it in blues and rust. The red-to-raspberry is my favorite. Click to enlarge images. Because I do not have enough of the darker tan brown, which I prefer with the red, I will be sprinkling the cream throughout the center and using it in the borders. Hopefully I have enough for the binding too.


Y'all come back!

1 comment:

  1. hmmm--easy to turn the pieces the wrong way? I won't say anything about a pink and white quilt with a turned block, or maybe something with gadzillions of odd sized pieces that has an unusual corner.......

    ReplyDelete