Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Serendipity

an illustration from a Victorian edition of The Three Princes of Serendip
Serendipity has two meanings
  1. aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident
  2. good fortune or luck

I love words and the history of this one is fascinating. It was coined by Horace Walpole (1717-92) who was a fascinating historical and literary figure. He said he formed it from the Persian fairy tale "The Three Princes of Serendip" whose heroes
"were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity,of things they were not in quest of."
Serendip is an old name for Ceylon which is now called Sri Lanka.

I am almost finished with my Christmas shopping, almost all of it online this year. One more gift to buy locally and mail this weekend and I will be done.

As a buyer when I find a seller who carries things I like I tend to return again and again, there are generally no unpleasant surprises that way.

From time to time there are pleasant surprises from new sellers. A serendipitous discovery for me a little while ago was a Bonanza seller Handmade Designs by TD who designs and makes her own costume jewelry. I bought a gift for my best friend's sister, the price was beyond reasonable as was the shipping. Imagine my surprise to get a small gift from her to me tucked into the package. Not only that but (to be truthful) I didn't expect much of the item I bought, the price was so low. It was a bauble, a geegaw, a moment's pleasure and a smile, nothing more. Well I was wrong, beautifully made and well made my gift will give many winter and holiday seasons of pleasure.

Truly a moment of serendipity!

Y'all come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment