Monday, March 12, 2012

A Pretty Rag Rug

A couple of years ago I blogged about making rag rugs.

This is the kind I make, strictly utilitarian from pieces of my husband's worn out jeans. Click the small one to get the bigger one.



My original inspiration came from some rag rugs I bought here in South Dakota at an auction. Those rugs were made from pieces of knit polyester, the fabric we all wore forty years ago. This particular multicolored rug is probably my favorite and is in my kitchen.



It is backed with a piece of lightweight denim and a look at the back shows how she made it.



Rows are approximately one half inch apart and she cut her squares at 2". The polyester knit does not ravel and washes like the old advertisements claimed, "easy care, wash and wear".

To people who have grown up with "treasures" like this they are no big deal but I am lost in admiration at the skill and imagination of the country women who found time to make things like this.

What do you think?

Y'all come back!

1 comment:

  1. I saw these rugs for sale this winter for 50-65 dollars.... I guess I wouldn't make one for less, either. I can't imagine how many times one would have to sharpen your shears or replace rotary cutting blades for one rug! But they are really neat. This woman called them "sandcatchers"! Awesome rugs... someone is very good at recyling!!

    ReplyDelete